HISTORY NEBRASKA MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID
RG4263.AM: Caroline E. (Marshall) Dodge, 1819-1892
Papers: 1800-1926; mostly 1834-1896
Fremont, Dodge County, Nebraska
Size: 0.25 cu.ft.; 1 box
Caroline Elizabeth Marshall was born on March 31, 1819 and raised in Vassalboro, Maine. In about 1845 she married George Addison Dodge who in 1854 took her to Illinois. In the early 1870’s they and their two sons, George and Charles, moved to Nebraska and settled in Dodge County. George and Caroline were still living in Dodge County in 1885. By the early 1890s the Dodges had moved to Missouri. Caroline (Marshall) Dodge died on August 6, 1892 and is buried in Riverview Cemetery, Louisiana, Missouri. George Dodge died on September 22, 1895 and is buried next to his wife.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
The collection consists of one box of papers relating to Caroline Dodge and the Dodge family. The collection includes correspondence, financial records, essays, family history information, and newspaper clippings. The items in the collection date from 1800-1918. The bulk of the collection consists of correspondence to her, between 1839 and 1896, relating to domestic matters in Maine and Illinois.
- Correspondence, 1834-1854
- Correspondence, 1855-1896
- Correspondence, 1834-1896 (typescript copies with additional remarks by Charles F.
- Dodge, 1926
- Correspondence, 1925 (about the Dodge Family)
- Correspondence, undated
- Financial records, 1800-1877
- Essays, undated, mostly signed by Caroline E. Dodge
- Marshall family history between 1750-1800, typed copy by Caroline E. Dodge
- Newspaper clippings, 1893-1901
Dodge, Caroline (Marshall), 1819-1892
Dodge, George A., 1819-1895
Revised TMM 11-10-2018