HISTORY NEBRASKA MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID
RG6101.AM: First Baptist Church (Wabash, Nebraska)
Record books: 1873-1925
Wabash, Cass County, Nebraska
Size: 4 volumes
The First Baptist Church of Weeping Water, Nebraska, held its organizational meeting at the Star of Hope School House on February 20, 1873. The church continued to meet at various locations over the years until 1886 when a new building was completed at Wabash, Nebraska. A motion to change the name of the church was held and approved at their covenant meeting on November 6, 1886. The name of the church was officially changed to the First Baptist Church of Wabash. The next meeting was held in the new church building on December 4th, 1886. The First Baptist Church of Wabash remained active through the 1940s but finally disbanded sometime in the late 1940s or early 1950s.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection consists of four volumes of records relating to the First Baptist Church at Wabash, Nebraska. The first two volumes contain records of their regular covenant meetings which included members present, prayers, singing, and scripture readings, as well as church business. The church business would include committee reports, discussion about members joining or leaving the church, election of officers, etc. The first volume includes the meetings of the First Baptist Church of Weeping Water before they officially changed the name of the church. The last two volumes contain records of the Baptist Sabbath School at Wabash. The records give brief descriptions of lessons taught, attendance numbers and money collected. The bulk of the records in this collection date between 1873 and 1925. A few pieces of correspondence from later dates have been inserted into several of the volumes.
- Record book, 1873-1897
- Record book, 1919-1925
- Record book, Sabbath school, 1898-1901
- Record book, Sabbath school, 1905-1907
Baptist churches -- Nebraska -- Cass County
First Baptist Church (Wabash, Nebraska)
First Baptist Church (Weeping Water, Nebraska)
Sunday schools -- Nebraska -- Cass County