NEBRASKA STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID
RG4182.AM: Martin Luther Evangelical Lutheran Church (Benton Precinct, Nemaha County, Neb.)
Benton Precinct, Nemaha County, Neb.: Lutheran church
Size: 1 reel of microfilm
Martin Luther Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized on July 6, 1902, in rural Benton Precinct in the southwestern part of Nemaha County. Its mailing address is Johnson, Nebraska. The first church building and parsonage were built in 1902. That church was burned and a new one built in 1909. A new parsonage replaced the original one in 1926. The old church was dismantled and a new one constructed in 1953. That building was heavily damaged by fire and rebuilt in 1959. Church services were conducted entirely in the German language until 1931. By 1947, most services were being held in English, and in 1956 regular German services were discontinued. This congregation is affiliated with the American Lutheran Church.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection of the records of Martin Luther Evangelical Lutheran Church of Benton Precinct, Nemaha County, Nebraska consists of four volumes on one reel of microfilm arranged in two series: 1) Records, 1902-1984; and 2) Anniversary Booklet, 1977. Series 1 contains a register of members, baptisms, confirmations, and marriages from 1902 to 1965 as well as two volumes of minutes from 1902 to 1984. Series 2 contains a booklet with historical information about the congregation which was published on the occasion of its 75th anniversary celebration on July 10, 1977.
Series 1 - Records, 1902-1984
- Register, 1902-1965
- Minutes. 1902-1977
- Minutes, 1978-1984
Series 2 - Anniversary Booklet, 1977
- "Martin Luther Church, 1902-1977; Anniversary Celebration, July 10, 1977"
Benton (Neb.) -- Churches
German Evangelical Lutheran Church in Nebraska
Germans in Nebraska
Johnson (Neb.) -- Churches
Lutheran Church in Nebraska
Martin Luther Evangelical Lutheran Church (Benton Precinct, Nemaha County, Neb.)
Nemaha County (Neb.) -- Churches
Revised 06-08-2009 TMM