HISTORY NEBRASKA MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID
RG1237.AM: Nebraska City High School (Nebraska City, Nebraska)
Nebraska City, Otoe County, Nebraska
Size: One folder
The first high school building built in Nebraska was located in Nebraska City. Built in 1865, the building was the first high school west of the Missouri River. Residents discussed building of the school prior to the Civil War. In 1864 the territorial legislature authorized the city council to raise funds for the project. A $12,000 bond was issued and citizens raised additional funds. The total cost of the building came to $27,524.
Cornelia Petring was the first student to graduate from the high school on May 25, 1880. Located on 6th Street between 4th and 5th Corsos, the original building served as the high school until a new building was built in 1889. The original building then served as an elementary school until 1916 when it was torn down.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection consists of material about the first Nebraska City High School. Included are commencement programs, the oration and diploma of the first graduate, newspaper clippings and an essay about early education in Nebraska City. The materials date from 1880-1953.
- “At the Threshold,” commencement oration by Cornelia Petring, May 25, 1880
- High School diploma of Cornelia Petring (see oversize)
- Nebraska City High School graduation program, May 25, 1880 (2 copies)
- Several letters from the Nebraska City Board of Education to Cornelia Petring regarding various teaching positions, 1890-1893
- Newspaper articles about the Nebraska City High School, 1940-1953
- Nebraska City High School graduation program, May 23, 1946, including a newspaper clipping regarding the class of 1946 honoring the class of 1880
- Program for the unveiling of the plaque marking the site of the first high school in Nebraska, June 25, 1950
- Essay, “Early Educational Facilities in Nebraska City,” by Donald F. Danker, May 26, 1953
Danker, Donald Floyd, 1922-2005
Education -- Nebraska -- Nebraska City
Education -- Nebraska -- Otoe County
Kimmel, Cornelia (Petring), 1862-1947
Nebraska City (Nebraska) -- History
Nebraska City High School (Nebraska City, Nebraska)
Otoe County (Nebraska) -- History