HISTORY NEBRASKA MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID
RG4344.AM: Patrons of Husbandry. Nebraska State Grange
Nebraska: Political organization
Size: 2.0 cu.ft.; 4 boxes
On January 1, 1872, J. H. Painter organized the first Grange in Nebraska at Orleans in Harlan County. This was quickly followed by the organization of a number of other Granges throughout the state. On August 2, 1872, General Wilson of Iowa organized the Nebraska State Grange. For more detail see Solon Justis Buck's The Granger Movement, Harvard University Press, 1913.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection is arranged in three series: 1) Nebraska State Grange, 1873-1899; 2) Subordinate Granges, 1872-1974; and 3) Miscellany. This material relates to the national organization of Patrons of Husbandry; to the Nebraska State Grange; and to the subordinate Granges with the state of Nebraska. Included are administrative and procedural records, as well as information concerning the activities of the organization.
Series 1 - Nebraska State Grange of the Patrons of Husbandry
- Charters and Commissions, 1873-1897
- Secretary's Book, 1887-1896
- Secretary's Book, 1885-1899
Series 2 - Subordinate Granges
Group 1: Applications for organization (photocopies)
- Granges #1 - #200; 1/1/1872-5/31/1873
- Granges #201 - #400; 6/4/1873-1/21/1874
- Granges #401 - #550; 1/26/1874-3/26/1874
- Granges #551 - #636, #29-#99; 4/1/1874-5/21/1897
Group 26, Excelsior Grange #26, Palmyra, Neb.
- Secretary's Book (minutes), 1876-1879
- Secretary's Book (accounts), 1876-1879
- Treasurer's Book, 1873-1877
- Miscellany, including: Charter, 1872
Group 35, Center Grange #35, Lincoln, Neb.
- Secretary's Book, 1875-1881
Group 203, Banner Grange #203, Palmyra, Neb.
- Treasurer's Book, 1873-1879
- Roll Book, 1873-1876
- Receipt Book, 1875-1880
Receipt Book, 1876-1879
Group 369, Waverly Grange #369, Waverly, Neb.
- Yearbooks, 1936-1974
Group 476, West Butler Grange #476, Columbus, Neb.
- Constitution & by-laws, n.d.
- By-laws of the Grange Library 1876
- Secretary's Book
Group 2, Sand Creek Grange #2, Sand Creek, Neb.
- Copy of Minutes, March 22 & April 5, 1873; copy of newspaper clipping
Group 103, Custer Center Grange #103, Broken Bow, Neb.
- Yearbook, 1937
Series 3 - Miscellany
- Manual of Subordinate Granges, Washington, Gibson Bros., 1872 (2 copies)
Manual of Subordinate Granges, Washington, Gibson Bros., 1873 (2 copies)
- Journals of Proceedings and Programs of Annual Sessions from 1941-1958
- Songs of the Grange, Philadelphia, J. A. Wagenskeller, 1874
- "Constitution of the Nebraska State Grange," as adopted December 17, 1873; Nebraska Farmer
- Membership application blanks
- Bibliography & Guide to newspaper articles on the Patrons of Husbandry
- Histories of county Granges, 1917
- History of Old State Grange, P. E. Beardsley, May 1890
- Grange Activities of James D. Ream
Agricultural societies -- Nebraska
Columbus (Nebraska) -- History
Lincoln (Nebraska) -- History
Nebraska State Grange
Palmyra (Nebraska) -- History
Patrons of Husbandry
Waverly (Nebraska) -- History