HISTORY NEBRASKA MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID
RG4294.AM: Omaha Philosophical Society (Omaha, Nebraska)
Omaha, Douglas County, Nebraska
Size: 1 cu. ft. of records on 2 reels of microfilm and 1 filmstrip
The Omaha Philosophical Society was organized in 1890 by E.M. Bartlett, Elias L. Emery, and Dr. L.A. Merriam. The Society was neither a religious nor political organization but was organized “to furnish a free forum for the discussion of living issues, the comparison of conflicting ideas, the elimination of error, the establishment of truth, and the promotion of peace.”
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection consists of records of the Omaha Philosophical Society and is arranged in three series: 1) Minutes, 1904-1939; 2) Printed matter, 1937-1938; and 3) General correspondence, 1930-1940. The material relates to the meetings and activities of the Society during the years 1904-1940. The bulk of the collection consists of minutes of the meetings. Also included is the correspondence of A.W. Favley, 1930-1940.
The entire collection has been microfilmed. The order of the materials on film is the same as in the boxes. Researchers must use the microfilm copy. Programs dating from 1901-1906 were located after the initial filming. These are located on Filmstrip #34.
Series 1 - Minutes, etc., 1904-1939
Box 1, Reels 1
Volume 1 - January, 1904-February, 1917
- 1926 [Reel 2 begins with the minutes of April 28, 1928 here]
Box 2 & Reel 2
- Treasurer’s reports, miscellaneous
Series 2 - Printed matter
- Printed data regarding speakers; programs; etc.
- Newspaper Clippings
Series 3 - General correspondence, 1930-1940
- 1930, 1937
Filmstrip, Reel 34
Programs Jan. 1- June 1901 - Programs, Jan. 5 - Apr. 26, 1906
Omaha Philosophical Society (Omaha, Nebraska)
Omaha (Nebraska) -- Societies and clubs
Revised KFK 06-06-1997