NEBRASKA STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID
RG3871.AM: St. Agnes Academy (Alliance, Neb.)
Scrapbook; printed material: 1911-1942
Alliance, Box Butte County, Neb.: Religious school
Size: 1 reel of microfilm
St. Agnes Academy was founded in 1908 by Father William McNamara, pastor of Holy Rosary Parish, Alliance, Nebraska. A bequest of $15,000 left by his sister, and a purse of $25,000 from the parish, made the original building possible. The Sisters of St. Francis of Penance and Charity arrived on September 8, 1908, to open classes. As enrollment increased, expansion was required. Additions were completed in 1910 and 1923. St. Agnes Academy graduated its first class in 1911. Enrollment was limited to girls until 1925.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection consists of one reel of microfilm containing records arranged in two series: 1) Scrapbooks, 1909-1942; and 2) Printed matter, 1958 and 1966.
This collection relates to the history of St. Agnes Academy, Alliance, Nebraska, 1909-1966. The scrapbooks include play programs, commencement announcements and newspaper clippings (most undated) about school plays, music contests, sport events and faculty and alumni. The printed matter in Series 2 includes copies of an alumni bulletin and newspaper articles.
Note: This collection is only available on microfilm. The NSHS does not hold the original materials.
Series 1 - Scrapbooks, 1909-1942
- Scrapbook, 1909-1930
- Scrapbook, 1930-1942
Series 2 - Printed matter
- "S A A" Alumni Newsletter, July 1958
- Newspaper clippings, 1966 and undated
Alliance (Neb.) -- History
Box Butte County (Neb.) -- History
Catholic Church in Nebraska
Education -- Nebraska -- Box Butte County
Holy Rosary Parish (Alliance, Neb.)
St. Agnes Academy (Alliance, Neb.)
Revised 07-16-2008 TMM