NEBRASKA STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID
RG3175.AM: United Church of Christ (Wayland, Neb.)
Wayland, Polk County, Neb.: United Church of Christ
Size: 1 reel of microfilm
The United Church of Christ of Wayland, Nebraska, was organized in March of 1873, by the Rev. James Quillen of the Iowa Center Christian Conference of Iowa. The Church was first known as the Christian Church of Blue Ridge and services were held in the Blue Ridge Schoolhouse. In 1883 it was decided to construct a church building at Wayland, Nebraska, at that time, a small town in southeastern Polk County. The town slowly vanished, leaving only the Church, some five miles north of Gresham, Nebraska. In 1913 the Wayland Church building was remodeled, and physical improvements continued throughout the years. The Church united with the Kansas-Nebraska Christian Conference in 1919, and on March 19, 1950, celebrated its 77th anniversary. Declining attendance resulted in the discontinuation of regular services in February of 1963, nearly 90 years after the organization of the Church.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection consists of one reel of microfilm containing two volumes of records of the United Church of Christ of Wayland, Nebraska. The records date from 1873-1969 and include registers of members, 1873-1965, minutes of board and annual meetings, 1906-1962, and church histories. This collection was loaned for microfilming in April of 1969.
- Historical Sketch, 1873-1919
Register of Members, 1873-1965
Minutes of official board and annual meetings, 1906-1953
- Register of members, n.d.
Minutes of annual meetings, 1953-1962
Records of Church Clerk, 1963-1969
Historical Sketch, 1873-1969
Polk County (Neb.) -- Churches
United Church of Christ in Nebraska
United Church of Christ (Wayland, Neb.)
Wayland (Neb.) -- Churches
Revised 06-22-2009 TMM