NEBRASKA STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID
RG2930.AM: Zion United Church of Christ (Fairbury, Neb.)
Fairbury, Jefferson County, Neb.: United Church of Christ
Size: 14 volumes, etc. on 3 reels of microfilm
The Zion United Church of Christ was established on August 19, 1882 by pastor Philip Testor who held church services for a group of East German settlers living near Gladstone, Nebraska. A year later, the church, entitled the Zion Evangelical Church, was formally organized with fourteen members. Within a year the membership had increased to thirty-two members.
The first church was dedicated in the spring of 1884 with a parsonage constructed in 1892. A new, larger church edifice was completed in 1903 with various other buildings constructed during the following years such as a stable and parsonage. By 1918 the congregation consisted of 219 confirmed members.
In 1934 the name of the church was changed from Zion Evangelical Church to Zion Evangelical Reformed Church because of the merger of the Evangelical and Reformed Churches. Later, in 1961, the name was again changed to Zion United Church of Christ, as a result of the merger between the Evangelical and Reformed Church with the Congregational Christian.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection consists of the records of the Zion United Church of Christ of Fairbury, Nebraska on three reels of microfilm. These records relate to the activities of the church, 1882-1971. Included are lists of members, baptisms, births, marriages, deaths, confirmants, communicants, collections, minister's reports, and general correspondence.
The records in Series 1 are continued on Reels 2 and 3. These records were discovered after the original microfilming was completed.
Series 1 - Church Records, 1882-1971
- 1895-1969; Includes church constitution, list of baptisms, births, deaths, confirmants, communicants, family register, church history & collections.
- 1963-1971; Includes a list of pastors, officers, members, baptisms, communicants, confirmants, marriages, losses, and deaths.
See Reels 2 and 3 for additional records.
Series 2 - General Correspondence, 1966-1970
Series 3 - List of Confirmants, 1885-1895
Series 4 - Pastor's Annual Reports, 1965-1969
Series 5 - Miscellany, 1963-1970
- 1963-1970; Includes bulletins, clippings, etc.
NOTE: The following records of the Zion United Church of Christ were discovered after the microfilming of the previous records was done in August of 1971. Therefore, it was not possible to maintain a strict chronological arrangement.
Series 1 - Church Records, 1882-1971 (Continued)
- 1882-1895 Includes baptisms, births, deaths, confirmants, communicants, and other records, (in German)
- Treasure's book (pledges), 1920-1935
- Treasure's book, 1917-1932
- Treasure's book, 1922-1934
- Treasure's book, 1932-1942
- Minutes of consistitory and congregational meetings, 1947-1967
- Minutes, Women's Guild, 1940-1953
- Minutes, Women's Guild, 1954-1959
- Cradle Roll, 1929-1937
- Cradle Roll, 1937-1949
Loose Deeds 1883, 1896, 1898
- 1895-1930 Includes constitution and by-laws, financial records, membership rolls (partial), and other records (in German)
- Minutes, congregation meetings, 1905-1947 (in German, 1905-1927); church council meetings, 1930-1947
Congregational Church in Nebraska
Fairbury (Neb.) -- Churches
Jefferson County (Neb.) -- Churches
Zion Evangelical Church (Fairbury, Neb.)
Zion Evangelical and Reformed Church (Fairbury, Neb.)
Zion United Church of Christ (Fairbury, Neb.)
Revised 12-06-2008 TMM