History Nebraska is seeking an organized self-starter to undertake the responsibility of preserving the good condition and functionality of multiple buildings. The maintenance specialist will perform a wide variety of maintenance tasks including light electrical, plumbing, HVAC, and general building maintenance. The ideal candidate will be able to work independently and responsibly while observing all health and safety guidelines. Our goal is to maintain the buildings and common areas in the best possible condition for our visitors.
This is a full-time permanent position with a pay range of $20.936-$30.863 per hour, commensurate with experience and within budgetary constraints, if approved.
History Nebraska is a statewide educational institution that connects people to the past through our library and research center, conservation facility, interpretive sites, and the state archeology and historic preservation offices. History Nebraska preserves and interprets our state’s past, contributes to the education of its citizens, and uses history to shape a better future for all Nebraskans. History Nebraska offers:
- A wide array of opportunities for professional growth, including membership to professional organizations, access to LinkedIn Learning, conference attendance, and more;
- A flexible work environment;
- Medical, dental, and vision health plans;
- 13 paid holidays a year, plus 12 paid vacation days and 12 paid sick leave days (both of which increase with tenure);
- Competitive retirement plan with 156% state match for every dollar you contribute;
- Paid term life insurance;
- Employee Wellness and Discount programs;
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness eligibility; and
- So much more!
Examples of Work
- Surveys buildings and repairs mechanical systems to ensure they are consistent with health and safety standards.
- Performs maintenance of electrical systems (e.g. replace light bulbs and ballasts, etc.).
- Monitors and maintains HVAC and other systems and conducts repairs as necessary.
- Performs manual repairs when necessary (e.g. fix locks and doors, etc.).
- Undertakes activities of pest control such as spraying insecticide.
- Conducts general upkeep procedures (e.g. building exterior and landscaping) and other tasks as assigned (e.g. painting, carpentry, etc.).
- Supervises internal and external custodial team, including directing, assigning, and monitoring work.
- Collaborates with various History Nebraska teams to ensure buildings are visitor friendly.
- Other duties as assigned, including but not limited to: helping other departments, participating in interdepartmental committees and working groups; participating in community outreach events.
Our five core values are:
- We Do It Better Every Time. We are always looking to improve. When we fail, we know why and learn from it.
- We Have Each Other’s Back. We work in groups. We candidly support one another for the betterment of the organization.
- We Own It. If we say we are going to do something, we do our best to get it done.
- We Are Curious. We never stop learning, and we encourage curiosity in others.
- We Are Inclusive. We seek multiple perspectives and value the uniqueness of each individual.