Three Nebraska students were recognized at the state contest of National History Day, a research and project-based program for students in grades 6-12.
During World War II, a prisoner-of-war internment camp was located directly north of here. The camp had its beginning in a request by the Holdrege New Industries Committee for a federal conscientious-objector camp to help relieve the severe war-time farm labor shortage. Instead, a prisoner-of-war camp was built. Planning for the camp began in June, 1943.
Picking corn was once an unpleasant task, done by hand, for Nebraska farmers after a fall frost when the corn was ripe and dry enough. Until this Nebraskan device was invented.
On June 1, 1926, George A. Coulter completed one of the first four irrigation wells in Cheyenne County, among the earliest in western Nebraska, on his farm just south of here. He and his son, James, dug the first twenty-two feet by hand. Charles Stanton, a Potter, Nebraska, driller, completed the final sixty feet to reach the Ogallala aquifer. The well pumped about one thousand gallons per minute, irrigating one hundred acres of corn, alfalfa, and wheat. Coulter sold the farm to Albert Nielsen in 1929; the well was still in use by Nielsen's sons in 2009. Irrigation from streams began in western Nebraska during the latter years of the nineteenth century. In the 1940s and 1950s the drilling of groundwater wells expanded rapidly, extending irrigation's benefits throughout the state. By the end of the twentieth century the self-propelled center pivot system, developed in Nebraska, had become a common method of irrigating crops. Irrigation helped transform the state into one of the nation's leading agricultural producers. In 2009 Cheyenne County had 631 registered irrigation wells, with more than 105,000 registered in Nebraska.