NEBRASKA STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID
RG1552.AM: St. Patrick's Catholic Church (Jackson, Neb.)
Jackson, Dakota County, Neb.:
Size: 3 volumes on 1 reel of microfilm
St. John's City, also called St. Patrick's Colony, was located on the Missouri River about one mile north of present-day Jackson, Nebraska. It was surveyed and platted by Father J. Trecy in June 1856 who, with some twenty-five families, established the first Catholic settlement in Nebraska.
After St. John's City was vacated in 1860 (a tornado had destroyed the church being constructed there and the Missouri River kept cutting away the land) St. Patrick's Catholic Church was built in Jackson. Although it is likely that the Church was established in 1856, when settlement began, the first Church records date from 1858.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection consists of one microfilm reel containing three church registers dated 1858-1903. These registers record baptisms, marriages, deaths, communions, and confirmations of St. Patrick's Catholic Church of Jackson, Nebraska. Because the microfilm is in negative form, many of the pages are difficult to read.
- Baptisms, 1858-1887 (p.1-187); Marriages, 1862-1887; Baptisms, 1878-1893 (1 typed page)
- 1887-1892: Baptisms, Marriages, Deaths, Confirmations, First Communion, Paschal Communion
- 1898-1903: Baptisms, Marriages, Deaths, First Communion, Rectory and Church Inventory
Catholic Church -- Nebraska
Dakota County (Neb.) -- Churches
Jackson (Neb.) -- Churches
St. Patrick's Catholic Church (Jackson, Neb.)
03-12-2007 Revised TMM/tmm