Lancaster County Humane Society [RG4941.AM]

HISTORY NEBRASKA MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID

RG4941.AM:  Lancaster County Humane Society (Lincoln, Nebraska)

Records:  1909-1957
Lincoln, Lancaster County, Nebraska
Size:  0.5 cu.ft.; 4 volumes

BACKGROUND NOTE

Established in 1902, the Lancaster County Humane Society’s first animal shelter was located in a shed near the West ‘O’ Street viaduct in Lincoln.  At the time the Society’s mission focused on the prevention of cruelty to children and horses.  They expanded their services in 1907 to include a variety of animals.  The Society continued to expand over the years and eventually changed their name to the Capital Humane Society.

SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE

The collection consists of four volumes dating from 1909 to 1957.  The first two volumes are “complaints” record books for registering complaints of mistreatment and endangerment of animals in the Lincoln area.  This function was administered by the Humane Society until the City of Lincoln established the Department of Animal Control in the 1970s.  The other two volumes are scrapbooks containing clippings about the activities of the Humane Society.

INVENTORY

Box 1
Volume

  1. Complaints, 1909-1911
  2. Complaints, 1911-1914
  3. Scrapbook, 1922-1927 (see oversize)
  4. Scrapbook, 1951-1957 (see oversize)

 

Subject headings:

Animal welfare -- Nebraska
Child welfare -- Nebraska
Lancaster County Humane Society (Lincoln, Nebraska)

Yearly memberships start at $32

Learn More