History Nebraska and Fort Robinson are seeking two friendly and enthusiastic tourism guides for our summer 2023 season. The guides will share their love and interest in Nebraska history with visitors from near and far, give tours, and answer questions about the fort and its historical significance. The guides will assist with retail sales and stocking of the gift shop, and perform other duties as assigned.
Schedule will ideally be May through Labor Day based on candidate availability. One position will be full-time, with a schedule of Mondays and Wednesday-Saturday. The other position will be part-time with a schedule of Mondays and Thursday-Saturday. Some scheduling flexibility will be required to accommodate holidays and days off.
Fort Robinson State Historical Site near Crawford, Nebraska, is one of the most significant places of the American West. It saw the creation of the Red Cloud agency, the death of Crazy Horse, the deployment of Buffalo Soldiers, a German POW camp, a WWII dog training program, and much more. The grounds include 14 historic structures inside a visually stunning state park and National Historic Landmark. History Nebraska preserves and interprets our state’s past, contributes to the education of its citizens, and uses the tools of history to shape a better future for all Nebraskans.
Our five core values are:
- We Do It Better Every Time. We are always looking to improve. When we fail, we know why and learn from it.
- We Have Each Other’s Back. We work in groups; we candidly support one another for the betterment of the organization.
- We Own It. If we say we are going to do something, we do our best to get it done.
- We Are Curious. We never stop learning and we encourage curiosity in others.
- We Are Inclusive. We seek multiple perspectives and value the uniqueness of each individual.
Examples of Work
- Greets all site visitors in person or by phone and provides information on exhibits and events.
- Walks site and frequents all buildings to ensure all visitors have an engaging experience.
- Provides tours to visiting groups and answers tourist inquiries, sharing historical information and local tourism.
- Collects admissions and sells merchandise in the gift shop, providing excellent customer service.
- Stocks and maintains merchandise on the sales floor and communicates when products are low.
- Balances and prepares daily sales reports and other essential reports using POS system.
- Assists with light housekeeping functions such as dusting, sweeping, and garbage removal.
- Performs other duties as assigned.