October is American Archives Month. 5 tips to help you locate early District Court Cases to help you with your research and genealogy.
[ Lancaster County District Court records at History Nebraska Government Records Archives
- Every county in Nebraska has a District Court
- Early cases, including divorces, are located in District Court records
- Early cases were recorded in oversize bound volumes that are double-sided, totaling 500 pages per volume
- Consult the General District Court Index (plaintiff and defendant) for the citation & page numbers from the Appearance Docket, Journal, and Complete Record
- Check county finding aids to determine if History Nebraska has the indexes or if the index is still maintained by the district court in the county.