Research, Reference, & Genealogy
History Nebraska Research and Reference Services help connect you to the material we collect and preserve.
The Reference Room is located at 1500 R Street, Lincoln, Nebraska, and is open on Fridays, 9 am – 4 pm.
The Reference Room is also available by appointment on Tuesday mornings, 9 am – 12 pm, and Wednesday afternoons, 1 pm – 4 pm. To schedule an appointment, please contact us via email. When making an appointment request, please be as specific as possible about the resources you request to see (titles of newspapers or library items; collection titles and box numbers of archival collections; etc.).
Please note: We ask that you submit an appointment request at least two business days before your requested appointment. We cannot guarantee appointment availability with less than two business days’ notice. Some government records collections are stored off-site. Requests for these collections may require up to five business days before the materials will be accessible in the Reference Room.
Paper copies from our microfilm readers and computers are no longer available. If you would like a scan, you can save it on a flash drive or send it through email. Please either bring a flash drive or be sure you know your email password so you can access you email account from a reference room computer.
Reference Room Rules
- Patrons are required to register daily at the Reference Desk.
- Coat racks and lockers are available to secure your belongings.
- No briefcases, purses, or bags may be taken into the Reference Room.
- Only pencils are allowed. Any other writing utensils are strictly prohibited.
- No food or drink is allowed.
- Laptop computers are allowed in the Reference Room. The use of personal scanners and copiers is strictly prohibited.
- Staff produced photocopies and scans of documents are available for a fee upon request.
- The use of personal cameras is allowed on a LIMITED basis.
Requesting Library and Archives Collections
- Most of the library and archives collections are stored in secure stacks closed to the public.
- Our reference staff can pull requested items from the stacks in time for your appointment, but you must arrange that with them ahead of time. Only items requested ahead of your appointment will be pulled.
- Our collections are cataloged with specific catalog IDs. We have finding aids for many collections on the website that you can find by using our search function. If you are unable to find the catalog ID, our reference staff will be able to help you.
- Photocopy services are available for all but a few oversize or fragile items.
- Original manuscripts, public records, photographs, and maps must be copied by staff.
- Library staff will be happy to explain how to order copies from these collections.
- Most copies cannot be made immediately upon request, but Copy Orders will be filled as soon as possible depending upon the size of the order and copy staff availability.
- Patrons may either pick up their order or make arrangements to have the material mailed.