Auto-driving demonstration equipment (Source: Leland M. Hancock, Lincoln, NSHS 10582-7)
This M-1 vehicle detector is from the first automatic driving demonstration in the U. S., which took place in Lincoln in 1957. The Nebraska Department of Roads and RCA laboratories undertook the Electronic Automatic Driving Project using equipment designed by Leland Hancock of the Department of Roads. The goal was to develop sensors in cars and highways that could control a car in an emergency. Technology from this project evolved into that now used to detect vehicles in roadway settings.