Corner of Etna Rd and Nebraska Hwy 47, Custer County, Nebraska
View this marker’s location 41.140594, -100.189151
The first Etna post office (1885-1895) was located three miles to the northwest. A new post office operated 1.5 miles east until 1921. In 1907 Etna saw the opening of a school, store, and telephone exchange. The store was enlarged by Andrew Ostergard in 1912 and later provided unofficial mail service until it closed in the early 1930s. The telephone exchange closed in 1933, the school in 1966. Automobiles and declining population reduced the need for services that such remote localities provided.