5 miles west of St. Paul, NE. Howard County.
The cemetery was established in 1876, one year after the first settlers of the Czech club “Slovania” arrived in the Warsaw vicinity. The plot was donated by Martin Slobodny. Initially, Sunday worship was held around a large wooden cross in the cemetery. In 1877 the community built their first church across the road, a small wooden building combining the sanctuary and the rectory.
Inspiration to build a larger church began during the tenure of Rev. John Stephen Broz (1890- 94), who initiated many Czech customs into the community. The bell in the cemetery was acquired during his time. Construction of a brick church began in 1895. It was built by parishioner C. V. Svoboda and Andrew Gruber, proprietors of the St. Paul brickyard. It was blessed on the feast of St. Wenceslaus, September 28, 1895.
St. Wenceslaus of Warsaw was the first Catholic church in Howard County. The last mass offered was on December 21, 1949, and the church was demolished in 1964. Only the names on the monuments remind passersby of the Czech pioneers whose struggle made a future for their descendants.