According to the Seward Independent-Democrat newspaper (June 5, 1913), when the head of the parade reached Cottage Hotel, just north of the bridge, a halt was made. The marchers opened ranks and the old soldiers, members of the Ladies Circle, and the flag bearers marched down between the two lines of school children. The children waved small flags as the old soldiers passed by.
Harold Mauck & wife Tina pose with Harold's stock car #89, ca. 1960 (RG5705.PH2-8) (Right).