The University of Nebraska produced numerous prominent psychologists, despite being a state whose population statistics should not merit such a number. This article presents the story of the growth of the Psychology Department between 1889 and 1930.
On April 7, 1891, Professor Harry Kirke Wolfe sent a letter to the Board of Regents of the University of Nebraska requesting the establishment of a Department of Psychology independent of the Department of Philosophy. Approximately a half-century later that request finally became a reality when in 1940 the regents announced Professor Arthur Jenness as chairman of the newly formed psychology department. It might naturally be assumed that the history of psychology at the university would begin with the establishment of the academic department, but in the case of the University of Nebraska, such an assumption would be wrong.
Read the full article here.
University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s Library Hall (Architectural Hall) was the former home of the psychology laboratory.