Historical Markers note historic places. The Nebraska program helps communities recognize the people, place, and events significant on the local, state, and national level.
- events: broad patterns of history
- people: significant contributions and where they were made
- prehistory and archeology: what sites reveal about past peoples
- cultural heritage: groups that make Nebraska distinctive
- state history: significant contribution to Nebraska's state story
- Identify a marker topic and research it. The Nebraska State Historical Society Reference Department can help.
- Fill out a preliminary marker application.
- Send to NSHS for staff review and to determine further steps.
Historical Markers Program
1500 R Street
PO Box 82554
Lincoln, NE 68501-2554
Local sponsors are responsible for financing the marker.
State Historical Markers are not available to commemorate individuals, organizations or structures primarily for their longevity, public service or philanthropy. Subjects must meet the criteria for historical significance above.
Historic markers should be located on public property. NSHS and the Nebraska Department of Roads will help find a suitable site.