HISTORY NEBRASKA MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID
RG3218.AM: Emmanuel Reformed Church (Sutton, Nebraska)
Sutton, Clay County, Neb.: Reformed church
Size: 2 volumes on 1 reel of microfilm
In the late 1860s, a number of Germans immigrated to Nebraska from Russia in order to avoid forced military service and religious persecution. Basically of the Reformed Faith, a colony of these immigrants settled near Sutton, Nebraska, and began to hold church services in the late 1860s. However, it was not until February 20, 1877, that the German Reformed Church was organized under the direction of Pastor Reverend William Bonekeeper, son of a minister who had ministered to those of the Reformed Faith in Russia. The early years found the new congregation meeting in private homes, stores and even barns. Not until 1879 was a church building constructed and, although it was later destroyed, a similar structure was built in the same location.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection consists of one reel of microfilm containing two volumes of church records dating from 1874-1946. The material in this collection relates to the official activities of the Emmanuel Reformed Church (German Reformed Church) of Sutton, Nebraska. Included are Pastor, birth, marriage, death, confirmation, family and officer registers. In addition, lists of communicants, church members and amounts of collections received are recorded. Both volumes are in the German language.
Note: An index to births, deaths and marriages listed on this microfilm is available on the Odessa3.org website.
Clay County (Neb.) — Churches
Emmanuel Reformed Church (Sutton, Neb.)
Germans in Nebraska
Germans from Russia
German Reformed Church (Sutton, Neb.)
Sutton (Neb.) — Churches
Revised 09-03-2008 TMM