NEBRASKA STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID
RG4460.AM: John Scott, 1836-1901
Saunders County, Neb.: Homesteader
Size: 0.5 cu.ft.; 1 box
John Scott was born on July 19, 1836, in Washington County, Indiana. In 1851 Scott moved to Iowa and later migrated to Nebraska where he homesteaded near Valparaiso. In 1857 he was married to Harriet Eveland and this union was to produce ten children. Following the death of his wife in 1890, Scott married Lucinda Lucas in 1891. This marriage was to produce one child. During his lifetime Scott was a county commissioner of Saunders County and was an active member of the Masons. Scott died on February 2, 1901, at Valparaiso, Nebraska.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection consists of one box of material including correspondence, 1891-1901; legal documents, 1880-1902; diary, 1890-1906; account books, 1879-1887; and newspaper clippings, 1898-1901.
This material relates to the family and business activities of John Scott. There is correspondence from S.G. Scott regarding his participation in the Spanish-American War; legal papers relating to John Scott’s business and farming activities, including: property deeds, power of attorney agreements, a homestead certificate and court summons. In addition, there are account books regarding daily living expenses, the assets of School District #40 in Saunders County and trip expenses incurred by Scott as County Commissioner. There is also a diary relating a journey by wagon from Valparaiso to southern Kansas in 1900 and the death records of the Scott family.
- General correspondence, 1891-1901
- Correspondence of S.G. Scott, 1898-1899 (regarding his participation in the Spanish American War)
- Legal documents, 1880-1902 (includes property deeds, power of attorney, homestead certificate, summons, redemption certificates)
- Diary, 1890-1906
- Account books, 1879-1887 (includes expenses Scott incurred as County Commissioner and assets of School District #40 in Saunders County)
- Newspaper clippings (includes data regarding the Spanish American War and obituaries)
Farm life — Nebraska — Saunders County
Saunders County (Neb.) — History
Scott, John, 1836-1901
Spanish-American War, 1898 — Personal narratives
Encoded TMM 09-10-2011