NEBRASKA STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID
RG3079.AM: Pleasant View Christian Church (Wilcox, Neb.)
Wilcox, Kearney County, Neb.: Christian church
Size: 2 volumes on 1 reel of microfilm
Sunday school was held in the Pleasant View Schoolhouse located about 11 miles south of Wilcox, Nebraska beginning about 1900. In 1906-1907, revivals were held in the area, and a Christian minister conducted intermittent services. On Sunday, November 3, 1912, a group of twenty persons met at the Pleasant View School in order to organize a Christian church. Burton Davies served as the first regular pastor until 1914. On May 17, 1921, Pastor Edgar Goings suggested that the congregation purchase the old Ash Grove Store, which was then converted into a church building. This structure served until 1948, when the old building was torn down and a new church erected. On May 1, 1949, the new Pleasant View Christian Church was dedicated.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection consists of one reel of microfilm containing two volumes of records of the Pleasant View Christian Church of Wilcox, Nebraska. These records relate to the history and activities of the Pleasant View Christian Church of Wilcox, Nebraska, 1912-1972 and include minutes of church meetings, membership registers, baptisms, marriages, deaths, and financial statements. The minutes are mostly incomplete for the period 1914-1932. Also included are a church dedication program from 1949 and a letter from 1947.
- Minutes of the church meetings, November 3, 1912-April 27, 1921, including signatures of original church members.
- Church Register, 1912-1972, including roster of members, officers, deaths, baptisms, marriages, and minutes of the annual and special church meetings, March 7, 1921-April 3, 1972
- Dedication program, May 1, 1949
- Letter of Tod V. Hubbell, May 12, 1947
Disciples of Christ — Nebraska
Kearney County (Neb.) — Churches
Pleasant View Christian Church (Wilcox, Neb.)
Wilcox (Neb.) — Churches
Revised 04-15-2009 TMM