NEBRASKA STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID
RG4272.AM: Federated Church (Columbus, Neb.)
Records on microfilm: 1865-1970
Columbus, Platte County, Neb.: Federated church
Size: 1 reel of microfilm
In 1865 a half-dozen residents of Columbus, Nebraska, organized a non-denominational Sunday school with meetings held in the town hall. The Congregational church of Columbus evolved from this beginning. In 1869 Sheldon Jackson, a Presbyterian mission superintendent in the west, organized a meeting in Columbus. This was the beginning of the Presbyterian Church in Columbus which formally organized in January of 1870.
The two church bodies, Congregational and Presbyterian, grew with Columbus. In 1913, illness of the Congregational minister left that church without leadership. The Presbyterians suggested that their minister serve both churches until the return of the Congregationalist. After several months of cooperation, the two bodies adopted articles of federation and on February 26, 1914, they merged into the present Federated Church. While each of the two denominations continue to exist, they act as one in the usual church activities.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection consists of the microfilmed records of the Federated Church of Columbus, Nebraska, arranged in three series: (1) Records, 1865-1896; (2) Scrapbooks; (3) Printed Matter.
Volume 1 of Series 1 contains original records created by the Presbyterian half of the Federated Church of Columbus. These include minutes of the Session and the Church Register, 1869-1896. Volume 2 of Series 1 contains the original records created by the Congregational half of the Federated Church of Columbus. These include constitution, minutes and historical sketches in correspondence, 1865-1883. Series 2 consists of three loose-leaf scrapbooks assembled by the Federated Church and containing illustrations, clippings, and programs. Series 3 consists of printed matter pertaining to the Congregational Church and the Christian Endeavor Union.
Note: This material was loaned for microfilming in November of 1976. The NSHS does not hold the original records.
Series 1 - Records, 1865-1896
Reel 1 (#16,601)
- Presbyterian Church of Columbus, minutes of the Session and the Church Register, 1869-1896 including:
Minutes of the Session, 1869-1896, pp. 1-192
Church Register, 1869-1896 including:
Register of Elders, p. 1
Register of Communicants, pp. 18-75
Register of Baptisms, pp. 77-79
Register of Deaths, p. 125
- Congregational Church of Columbus, Constitution, minutes and historical sketches in correspondence, 1865-1883 including:
Constitution and minutes, 1865-1883
Historical sketches in correspondence, Nov.-Dec., 1879
Series 2 - Scrapbooks
- "1866-1966 Centennial Observance"
Series 3 - Printed Matter
- Manual of the Congregational Church of Columbus, 1899
- Manual of the Congregational Church of Columbus, 1902
- Christian Endeavor Union, Convention Program, 1898
- Christian Endeavor Union, Convention Program, 1899
- Christian Endeavor Union, Convention Program, 1908
- "A Christian Study for Young People and Children," by William L. Dibble (n.d.)
- "Girls of All Ages Banquet," Federated Church, Columbus, Nebraska, 1968
Columbus (Neb.) -- Churches
Federated Church (Columbus, Neb.)
Platte County (Neb.) -- Churches
Presbyterian Church in Nebraska
United Church of Christ in Nebraska
Encoded TMM 07-29-2011