Our Historical Markers across Nebraska highlight moments and places in our state’s past. Today’s focus is Joslyn Castle, a 34-room house built in 1903 and designed to resemble a Scottish manor in the middle of Omaha.
308 N 40th St,(intersection of 40th & Davenport) Omaha, Douglas County, Nebraska
The Joslyns purchased the Sutphen farm in 1893 and began landscaping the five-acre site. Omaha architect John McDonald designed the mansion to resemble a Scottish manor. Named Lynhurst and known locally as “Joslyn Castle,” the thirty-four-room house was completed in 1903. It includes an interior conservatory designed by landscape architect Jens Jensen in 1913. The Joslyns made their fortune in the ready-print news business and owned the Western Newspaper Union. They gave generously to many Omaha organizations.
The George and Sarah Joslyn Residence, 39th and Davenport, Omaha, Nebr.