Our Historical Markers across Nebraska highlight moments and places in our state’s past.
Today, we focus on the Ohiowa Auditorium. Constructed by the WPA during the Great Depression, it’s served its community for 79 years.
The intersection of S Main St & Grafton St, Ohiowa, Fillmore County, Nebraska
View this marker’s location 40.414372, -97.452842
The Ohiowa Auditorium, completed in 1940 and preserved in near original condition, is one of several Nebraska buildings constructed by the Works Progress Administration during the Great Depression. The WPA, a federal government relief program, provided employment for local workers. During World War II the auditorium served as an entertainment center for soldiers from the nearby Bruning Army Air Field. A community landmark, the auditorium has also been used for dances, movies, roller-skating, craft shows, auctions, and as a polling place.