March is Women’s History Month, so all month long we are celebrating the contributions of women to Nebraska history. Below you can find long-form Nebraska History articles and short blog posts that tell some stories of women’s history in Nebraska, plus some documents that can help you look through our vast collections for your own research.
Nebraska History Articles
- “Striving for Equal Rights for All”: Woman Suffrage in Nebraska, 1855-1882 by Kristin Mapel Bloomberg
- Thou Shalt Not Vote: Anti-Suffrage in Nebraska, 1914-1920 by Laura McKee Hickman
- Barkley vs Pool: Woman Suffrage and the Nebraska Referendum Law by James E. Potter
- The Nebraska League of Women Voters by Ruth Godfrey Donovan
- Sixty-Five Years Till Victory: A History of Woman Suffrage in Nebraska by Ann L. Wiegman
- A Reader’s Guide to Women in Nebraska History Magazine, 1918-1977 by Jane Renner Hood
- Mildred Brown and the De Porres Club: Collective Activism in Omaha, Nebraska’s, Near North Side, 1947-1960 by Amy Helene Forss
- Rosa Hudspeth and the Stuart Ledger, 1901-1907 by Patricia C. Gaster
Blog and Publications Posts
- 1890s Business Women Challenged Fashion Standards.
- Women of the Great War: WWI Posters.
- Throwback Thursday: WAC Gladys Welch.
- Carry Nation Debated Woman Suffrage in Seward.
- Ada C. Bittenbender and the Nebraska Woman Suffrage Association.
- Dr. Picotte’s House.
- A “Lady Patrolman” in Omaha?
- Ten Reasons Women Don’t Want to Vote, a Summary of 1900s Anti-Suffrage Arguments.
Manuscript Collections Finding Aids
- Nebraska Woman Suffrage Association.
- Harriet Sophia (Brewer) Brooks, 1828-1888.
- League of Women Voters of Nebraska.
- Woman’s Christian Temperance Union.
- Nebraska Commission on the Status of Women.
- National Organization for Women, Nebraska Chapter.
- American Association of University Women, Nebraska Division.
- International Women’s Year, Nebraska Coalition.